del Buon Governo (Effects
of Good Government),
Palazzo Pubblico, Siena, 1337-1340
- "Traveling to the VIllage of Knowledge," Vijayendra Rao and Patrick Heller, eds., Deliberation and Development (Washington DC: World Bank), submitted.
of Social Choice by Democratic Theory," Jon Elster and Stephanie Novak, eds., The Majority Principle, submitted.
- "The Values of Democratic Proceduralism," forthcoming, Irish Political Studies.
Ignorance and Beyond," 2011, Jon Elster and Helene Landemore, eds., Collective Wisdom: Principles and Mechanisms (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press)
but Voting Too,” forthcoming, in Robert
Deliberative Democracy: Theory and Practice (Albany: State University
of New York Press).
Infotopia,” 2009, Theoria.
Leadership Democracy,” 2009, Political
Democratic Deliberation Change Minds?”, 2006, Philosophy,
Politics and Economics.
Genital Cutting: A Harmless Practice?”, 2003, Medical
Socialization, Family and Character,” 2002, Analyse und
- “Patterns of Social Trust in Western Europe and their
in Karen Cook, ed.,
Trust in Society (New York: Russell Sage
Genital Cutting: The Beginning of the End,” 2000,
Shell-Duncan and Ylva Hernlund, eds, Female Circumcision:
Multidisciplinary Perspectives (Boulder, CO: Lynne Reinner
245-282. Reprinted as “Abandon Collectif de l’Excision: Le Debut de la
Fin,” 1999 (Dakar, Senegal: UNICEF and UNIFEM).
- “All Men are Liars: Is Democracy Meaningless?” 1998, in Jon
Democracy (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), 69-95.
Footbinding and Infibulation: A Convention
Sociological Review 61(6):999-1017.
- “Frustration and Preference Change in International
Migration,” 1995, European
Journal of Sociology / Archives Européennes
de Sociologie 36(2):185-208.
- “U.S. Immigration Policy and Local Justice,” 1995, in Jon
Local Justice in
America (New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1995),
- “Success and Failure in an American Workers' Cooperative
June 1994, Politics and
Essays in Progress
It’s Rational to Vote," submitted.
- “Cognitive and Affective Aspects of Three Concepts of
Liberty,” 2011, submitted.
Examination of the Expressive Theory of Voting," submitted.
- Values Deliberations and Collective Action in Rural Senegal: How
Participants Respond in the Human Rights Sessions of the Tostan
Community Empowerment Program," with Beniamino Cislaghi and Diane
Gillespie, 2010; supported by Wallace Global Fund, UNICEF, and UCSD Academic Senate.
- "Lessons Learned from
Comparison of Programs to Abandon Harmful Practices in Five Countries,"
March 2009, for UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre
- "More Effective and Less
Effective Programs to Abandon Harmful Practices in Five
Countries," March 2009, for UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre
- "The Social
Dynamics of Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting," with John LeJeune,
March 2009 draft, for
UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre
- Voting, Stanford Encylopedia of Philosophy, in development
- The Interaction of Legal Norms and Social Norms, in development
- Democratic Discussion, Delegation, and Voting; in development
- Moral Enterprise and the Abandonment of Female Genital Cutting; in development.
- Why Your Vote Makes a Difference: Further Critiques of the Economic Theory of Democracy
- How to End Harmful Social Practices: Theory and Practice
Networks, Third Parties, and Negotiations,”
2008, as “Redes
cognitivas, terceras partes y negociaciones,” in Freddy Cante, ed.,
Negociación, y Acuerdos (Bogotá: Editorial Universidad
del Rosario, 2008).
of Ken Binmore, Natural Justice, 2006,” Ethics 776-780.
of Rational Choice and Democratic Deliberation: A
Theory of Discourse Failure,” 2006, Notre Dame Philosophy Reviews.
to Ian Shapiro’s Flight from Reality,” 2005, in
Qualitative Methods, 3(2):6-10, Newsletter
of the APSA Organized
Section on Qualitative Methods.
- “Saving Democracy from Political Science,” 2003, in Jose
Robert Dahl, Ian Shapiro, eds. Democracy
Sourcebook (Cambridge: MIT